Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Wintery Weekend at Woodend!

I had to think twice about packing an undershirt for Sunday's race at Woodend, but commonsense and previous experience convinced me of the reality, of course it was going to be cold! 

The Rocky Riders club put on the 5th round of the State Series, and it went perfectly, they were so efficient that they conducted the presentations before we could all manage to get cleaned up! Thanks to all those involved in making the day happen, all went very well.

The sweet trails of the 'Wombat were not able to be used due to permit issues, but the replacement course was a blast. The track wound in and out of the pine forest with a good percentage of tight, fast, loamy,  single track, which made for great traction and exciting cornering. The fire road climbing was friendly and gave you a chance to see if your nearest challenger getting too close for comfort!

I started the race as I meant to finish, getting to the single track first and not handing the lead to any who would try and take it. I managed to put a decent gap on by the 4th lap and stretched this out a bit more in the 5th, rolling across the finish line in a clear first place. All in all it was a good old fashioned long race (2hrs) leaving me feeling like I had done some solid work for the day!

As I haven't managed to get some pictures of my self racing I recommend looking at the ones Stephen Rowe snapped on the day at www.rockyriders.com



No comments: