Sunday, April 27, 2008

State Championships – Upper Beaconsfield

Result – 2nd - Elite Women

Overall State Series Winner


The last round of the Summer State Series, was more like a mid winter race, cold and wet under ominous and threatening skies. The weather didn’t put any of us hardened mountain biker types off though, we were all out in force to contest the Title of State Champion!



In the end the weather was kind to us, we didn’t get any rain and the track actually dried up nicely throughout the race. Going out for my warm up lap, I was quite impressed with the tightness and techi-ness of the course. It looked to be a lot of fun, but also potentially very fatiguing with numerous logs to hop over and a very tight steep switchback climb to negotiate.



I led for the first 2 laps with Jenni King hot on my tail, as much as I tried to drop her, she was determined to stick on my wheel and watch for any signs of weakness. The third lap I started loosing speed on the climbs, and I was feeling the early onset of fatigue as a result of not getting great recovery after last weekends big ride at the BMC 100.



Jen put a decent gap on me and I found myself riding out the race in no man’s land, feeling like I was towing a bathtub and trying my best to ignore the screaming protest my legs were putting out!!



So Jenni deservedly took out the State Championship Title, and my second place secured the position of State Series leader. There is a first time for everything!!!!

No comments: