Sunday, April 20, 2008

The BMC 100k

A couple of months ago myself, Rob Eva and a couple members of the Woodend mtb club, went for a super trail ride in the Wombat State Forest. As this was the first time I had ridden in the area  I was blown away by the super quality of the single track  in these parts. I had to come back,  and so here it was that I found my self on the start line for the inaugural BMC 100km!

Myself and a few eligible veterans from the Bendigo mtb club, decided to make a real weekend of it, and went down to camp  on the Saturday night, It was a great way to soak in the atmosphere of the event and beat the early morning drive from home.

The 7 am start was rough! The sun was barely popping it's head up and the air was icy, very hard to get out of my sleeping bag. I aimed for a fast start so as I could get myself a bit of a gap to work with early on. This I achieved by employing some roadie tactics on the fire road,  and hanging out with a few of the fellas!

I hit the first section of single track with lots of piece and quiet and a clear trail ahead, it was awesome, easily the best single track I have ridden here in Australia! As the day progressed my nearest rival Bec Locke made contact with me twice, buzzing my rear tire on the long sustained fire road sections, but getting lost in my dust as soon as we hit the single track. It made for an exciting race where I was literally on the each of my seat, and my limits, the whole day. I was constantly glancing over my shoulder in a paranoid state to check if Bec was gaining on me!

By the time I hit the 80 km checkpoint I was well over done; feeling like I was towing a bathtub and getting thrown around like a sack of spuds through the rough ball breaking pine forest section. A lot of the climbing was done in this section and I can tell you it was very sloth-like!

I was so glad to get onto the wombat trail, must have been about 5 km of sweet flowing single tack all the way home to cross the finish line in a well earned 1st place. It was a superb way to finish off a super cool fun 100 km mtb race!

Thanks to all those involved for getting this event up and running and big, huge thanks to the dedication and passion of the Woodend mtb Club who are behind the construction of the very, very nice single track in the area!

No comments: