Friday, May 7, 2010

Dalby Forest World Cup # 1

It all came about pretty quickly, having had a pretty disjointed start to the trip. Having only been in the UK for 2 days I found myself lining up on the start grid for the first World Cup, it was quite a surreal feeling. On one hand I was worried with the lack of quality preparation and on the other hand the adrenalin was still pumping having actually made it and it seemed a real novelty to be lining up for this race at all!


Race day threatened with some early rain, but it didn’t eventuate into anything, it was really only a sprinkle, enough to just slightly wet down the course. The women’s race had about 120 entries we are all seeded on our international ranking, being pretty low I was in the last few lines on the grid. I was quite surprised to be lining up right next to many times over World Champion and also Olympic Champion, Gunn-Rita Dahl! She has since taken a break from the sport to start a family and have some time away from professional mountain biking. She was great, we had a bit of a chat, and discussed the predicament of starting this far back from the front, definitely not a position she would have been accustomed to!



Apart from a bit of a pile up due to a crash on the start line, my race went very smoothly, I felt really good and was pleasantly surprised with the fact that I was in pretty good nick considering the lead up! I felt like I was getting quicker on each lap, once I managed to work my way forward and pass a few of the slower girls I was able to gain some momentum and settle into the race. I just managed to finish on the lead lap (You get pulled of the course if your lap times fall below 80% of the leaders lap time.) and crossed the line in 71st position, it is a long way off where I need to be for World Championship selection, but I was happy with how I felt and the form that I’m in, things can only get better from here surely!!

No comments: